[Milton-L] Moloch et al

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sun Feb 2 19:17:30 EST 2014

But the question is whether the OT account of neighboring gods/religions is historically/anthropologically reliable.  Until very recently, the view of scholars of those religions was that it was not reliable, that it was (as is to be expected) propaganda for the moral superiority of the Yahweh cult.

This is why the claim that there actually was infant sacrifice is surprising rather than commonplace.  It will be interesting to see whether a new consensus among ancient Middle East scholars emerges -- or not.  In any case, the OT account of these things cannot necessarily be taken at face value.  As the song puts it, "The things that your liable / To read in the bible -- / They ain't necessarily so."

RS