[Milton-L] more, seemingly ever more, on fallacious

Sara van den Berg vandens at slu.edu
Wed Apr 23 21:52:16 EDT 2014

I've also enjoyed the discussion of "fallacious" and "seal."  However,
Milton uses both words several times in his prose, in contexts which do not
allow for any sexual pun.  Anyone who is interested can check the
concordance.
A long time ago, Edward LeComte compiled his list of Milton's puns, but
these two words were not among them--and many of the puns he suggested were
not persuasive.

Many, if not most, of Milton's puns are cross-language puns.  In one
language, the word denotes physical description; in the other language, the
word connotes moral evaluation.  For example, when he refers to the fallen
angels' "horrid" spears the word "horrid" in English is evaluative; the
source, the Latin word "horridus," means "pointed" and denotes physical
description.  Now, as to "spears," . . .

I'm looking forward to ordering Nigel's collection, and will also be sure
our library orders it.

Sara van den Berg