[Milton-L] Milton-L Digest, Vol 89, Issue 150

Karra Shimabukuro khkshimabukuro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:29:09 EDT 2014


Conrad:
We only get a description of Satan after he has fallen, so we can only
extrapolate from how non-fallen angels are described, and the description
in Book I.
However Russell and Forsyth provide some interesting historical background
on what Milton was building on.
Would be interested in know what other answers you find, as my research
focuses on the evolution of the folkloric devil.
Best-
Karra


On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM, <milton-l-request at lists.richmond.edu>wrote:

> Send Milton-L mailing list submissions to
>         milton-l at lists.richmond.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         milton-l-request at lists.richmond.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         milton-l-owner at lists.richmond.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Milton-L digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Face of Satan (sent)
>    2. Re: Face of Satan (Gregory Machacek)
>    3. Re: Face of Satan (Robert Oventile)
>    4. Re: Face of Satan (Michael Gillum)
>    5. Re: Face of Satan (sent)
>    6. Re: Face of Satan (Robert S. Oventile)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:22:49 -0400
> From: "sent" <cbladey at verizon.net>
> To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> Message-ID: <DE97A8CE328A4814B95D4A60381F885F at drinkhail>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
>
> The face of Satan-
>
> What did his real face look like- that is when  not a snake? etc......
>
> Working on the Face of Evil in the UK of the time......
>
> Thanks!
>
> Conrad
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> This Just In- the
> Book of Guy Fawkes Day and its Bonfire night the most complete work on the
> Gunpowder Plot the Great Deliverance of 1605, Guy Fawkes Day, is now
> available-an essential work-nothing like it!
> http://www.cbladey.com/bonfirebook/main%20bonfire.html
> _______________________
> The Book of Wassail- -Only Comprehensive study of all aspects of Wassail
> ever. 5 Volumes,Illustrated, Literature, Folklore, Music, Drama, Recipes
> and huge Bibliography. Essential for learning customs, a spectacular
> reference and a very good read. It is filled with recipes songs and
> literary treasures. Web page order form is here:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/wassailbook/wassailbook.html
> Please contact your local reference library- they should have a copy.
> Institutional discount available.
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20140423/5f03e380/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:12:06 -0400
> From: Gregory Machacek <Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> Message-ID:
>         <
> OFEFBE0DE1.1CD652CB-ON85257CC3.0063FC3E-85257CC3.0063FC42 at marist.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20140423/dbb37794/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:16:45 -0700
> From: Robert Oventile <rsoventile at earthlink.net>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> Message-ID: <CF7D519D.6292%rsoventile at earthlink.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> And he sees his face in hers, in Sin?s, her face echo-mirroring his
> fast-fading or lost glory, though only ever a borrowed glory, all light
> ultimately being from on high.
>
>
> On 4/23/14 11:12 AM, "Gregory Machacek" <Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > not less than Archangel ruined
> >
> >
> >
> > Greg Machacek
> > Professor of English
> > Marist College
> >
> >
> > -----milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu wrote: -----
> > To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> > From: "sent"
> > Sent by: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu
> > Date: 04/23/2014 12:26PM
> > Subject: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> >
> > The face of Satan-
> >
> > What did his real face look like- that is when  not a snake? etc......
> >
> > Working on the Face of Evil in the UK of the time......
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Conrad
> >
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > ++
> > This Just In- the
> > Book of Guy Fawkes Day and its Bonfire night the most complete work on
> the
> > Gunpowder Plot the Great Deliverance of 1605, Guy Fawkes Day, is now
> > available-an essential work-nothing like it!
> > http://www.cbladey.com/bonfirebook/main%20bonfire.html
> > _______________________
> > The Book of Wassail- -Only Comprehensive study of all aspects of Wassail
> ever.
> > 5 Volumes,Illustrated, Literature, Folklore, Music, Drama, Recipes and
> huge
> > Bibliography. Essential for learning customs, a spectacular reference
> and a
> > very good read. It is filled with recipes songs and literary treasures.
> Web
> > page order form is here:
> > http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/wassailbook/wassailbook.html
> > Please contact your local reference library- they should have a copy.
> > Institutional discount available.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20140423/f5a932fb/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:43:49 -0400
> From: Michael Gillum <mgillum at unca.edu>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> Message-ID:
>         <CAMwPjHJb_+-hu1rqShc8-HCqVQYdYzdHZb4048Li43seJQop=
> g at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> "had not yet lost all his original brightness." (Apparently his appearance
> grows steadily worse.) The fallen angels were singed up during their fall
> from heaven, and their substance has grown coarser, but they are still
> recognizably angelic.
>
> The proper form of Milton's angels seems to be anthropomorphic, very
> beautiful, but gigantic in size; however, they can change size, shape, and
> sex at will. M's Satan certainly doesn't have a tail, goat legs, and bat
> wings. According to illustrator John Martin (1820s), he has a Hitler
> mustache.
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Robert Oventile
> <rsoventile at earthlink.net>wrote:
>
> >  And he sees his face in hers, in Sin?s, her face echo-mirroring his
> > fast-fading or lost glory, though only ever a borrowed glory, all light
> > ultimately being from on high.
> >
> >
> >
> > On 4/23/14 11:12 AM, "Gregory Machacek" <Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> > not less than Archangel ruined
> >
> >
> >
> > Greg Machacek
> > Professor of English
> > Marist College
> >
> >
> > -----milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu wrote: -----
> > To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> > From: "sent"
> > Sent by: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu
> > Date: 04/23/2014 12:26PM
> > Subject: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> >
> > The face of Satan-
> >
> > What did his real face look like- that is when  not a snake? etc......
> >
> > Working on the Face of Evil in the UK of the time......
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Conrad
> >
> >
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > This Just In- the
> > Book of Guy Fawkes Day and its Bonfire night the most complete work on
> the
> > Gunpowder Plot the Great Deliverance of 1605, Guy Fawkes Day, is now
> > available-an essential work-nothing like it!
> > http://www.cbladey.com/bonfirebook/main%20bonfire.html
> > _______________________
> > The Book of Wassail- -Only Comprehensive study of all aspects of Wassail
> > ever. 5 Volumes,Illustrated, Literature, Folklore, Music, Drama, Recipes
> > and huge Bibliography. Essential for learning customs, a spectacular
> > reference and a very good read. It is filled with recipes songs and
> > literary treasures. Web page order form is here:
> > http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/wassailbook/wassailbook.html
> > Please contact your local reference library- they should have a copy.
> > Institutional discount available.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20140423/f3f30411/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:13:02 -0400
> From: "sent" <cbladey at verizon.net>
> To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> Message-ID: <E7B8A55AB8364CAEBCC9730DEA2F8776 at drinkhail>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> thanks- the mustache is not in milton then- or beard? Is satan dark?
>
> From: Michael Gillum
> Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:43 PM
> To: John Milton Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
>
> "had not yet lost all his original brightness." (Apparently his appearance
> grows steadily worse.) The fallen angels were singed up during their fall
> from heaven, and their substance has grown coarser, but they are still
> recognizably angelic.
>
> The proper form of Milton's angels seems to be anthropomorphic, very
> beautiful, but gigantic in size; however, they can change size, shape, and
> sex at will. M's Satan certainly doesn't have a tail, goat legs, and bat
> wings. According to illustrator John Martin (1820s), he has a Hitler
> mustache.
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Robert Oventile <rsoventile at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>   And he sees his face in hers, in Sin?s, her face echo-mirroring his
> fast-fading or lost glory, though only ever a borrowed glory, all light
> ultimately being from on high.
>
>
>
>   On 4/23/14 11:12 AM, "Gregory Machacek" <Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu>
> wrote:
>
>
>     not less than Archangel ruined
>
>
>
>     Greg Machacek
>     Professor of English
>     Marist College
>
>
>     -----milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu wrote: -----
>     To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
>     From: "sent"
>     Sent by: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu
>     Date: 04/23/2014 12:26PM
>     Subject: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
>
>     The face of Satan-
>
>     What did his real face look like- that is when  not a snake? etc......
>
>     Working on the Face of Evil in the UK of the time......
>
>     Thanks!
>
>     Conrad
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>     This Just In- the
>     Book of Guy Fawkes Day and its Bonfire night the most complete work on
> the Gunpowder Plot the Great Deliverance of 1605, Guy Fawkes Day, is now
> available-an essential work-nothing like it!
>     http://www.cbladey.com/bonfirebook/main%20bonfire.html
>     _______________________
>     The Book of Wassail- -Only Comprehensive study of all aspects of
> Wassail ever. 5 Volumes,Illustrated, Literature, Folklore, Music, Drama,
> Recipes and huge Bibliography. Essential for learning customs, a
> spectacular reference and a very good read. It is filled with recipes songs
> and literary treasures. Web page order form is here:
>     http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/wassailbook/wassailbook.html
>     Please contact your local reference library- they should have a copy.
> Institutional discount available.
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     Milton-L mailing list
>     Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
>     Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
>     Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
>
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     Milton-L mailing list
>     Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
>     Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
>     Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
>
>   _______________________________________________
>   Milton-L mailing list
>   Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
>   Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
>   Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Milton-L mailing list
> Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
> Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20140423/245ca74e/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:24:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
> From: "Robert S. Oventile" <rsoventile at earthlink.net>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Face of Satan
> Message-ID:
>         <
> 7823076.1398281043618.JavaMail.root at elwamui-milano.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20140423/3cf8fe84/attachment.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Milton-L mailing list
> Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu
> Manage your membership and access list archives at
> http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
> Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
> End of Milton-L Digest, Vol 89, Issue 150
> *****************************************
>



-- 
Karra Shimabukuro
PhD student, University of New Mexico

B.F.A, M.S.Ed., M.A
Twitter: @khkshimabukuro
http://scholarlymedievalmadness.blogspot.com/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20140423/e0d96ac0/attachment.html>


More information about the Milton-L mailing list