[Milton-L] No antidote

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Sun Apr 20 19:40:40 EDT 2014

Harold:  Thank you for that clarification.

In my original post I didn't say that the fact I hear sexual connotations in "seal" in this context suggests that it's a pun--not that I thought carefully about that; it's just not what I was trying to say.  I did say, and I still believe, that the pair of phrases sets off certain available trains of thought that are supported by a series of puns and echoes, some of which I listed or suggested in my own string of word play.  I think there's a complex of sound echoes around the key words in the phrases ("seal" and  "solace") and various relevant senses arise along its chains of sound.  Some of these senses are legal, some sexual, etc.

I hope that makes my position, at least, a little clearer.

Louis

Louis Schwartz
Professor of English
University of Richmond