[Milton-L] No antidote

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 20 15:54:28 EDT 2014

Louis--and John--just to clarify: I don't disagree that a pun on seal is impossible here, or even that the "sealing" could have a sexual valence (and yes--it's a much better pun than fallacious/fellatious); I just don't see it as necessary here, at arguably the most tragic moment of PL. Eve has "sealed" her doom by eating the Fruit, then coercing (successfully or not) Adam to commit the same forbidden act. Adam has "sealed" his doom by proclaiming his need for the flesh of his flesh to be more compelling than his faith (or trust) in God--and yes, in that sense, he "seals" his damnation with a kiss. They together "seal" their pact by forming a union (the closest union two human beings can experience) against God, a joint separateness from the Unity that is the rest of the cosmos, just as the devils did--but the act of intercourse is not the "seal" of their fate, the disobedience is; it's the symptom, not the cause, if you will.

My response (about it being a "guy thing") may have been more flippant than the argument called for--but it wasn't meant to be dismissive.

Best to all,

Carol Barton