[Milton-L] No antidote

Uzakova, Oydin Yashinova oydin.uzakova at okstate.edu
Sun Apr 20 14:44:33 EDT 2014

Dear Professor Leonard,

I just want to clarify that my post was in response to Professor Strier's reply to my earlier post--I actually composed and sent it yesterday afternoon (before your long post), but it kept bouncing from the listserv allegedly due to its large size, so I finally gave up on resending it and decided to wait for our moderator's decision until today, hoping that he would post it eventually.  However, my reply had not been posted by this morning, so I decreased my font and successfully resubmitted it earlier this afternoon.  So, my post was not intended to "chime in" with any additional dismissal of your suggestion of Milton's sexual pun on "seal"--it was merely an unfortunate coincidence in timing.

I thought that my position on the issue of "seal/solace" had been misunderstood by Professor Strier since I had included other passages on love, sex, lust, women, and "roving," so I was attempting to set the record straight.  While I am not fully convinced of Milton's sexual punning on "seal" in the poem (considering his other uses of this word that I have already examined), I do find it much more plausible than his alleged pun on "fallacious."  I simply wanted to clarify my position on this topic, which is still the same: "I was not convinced of the alleged sexual pun on "fallacious" and did not insist on the potentially more plausible sexual pun on "seal."  There is simply no conclusive textual evidence in the poem to prove such usage by Milton in both cases."

As I have indicated earlier, Milton uses the word "seal" in its negative connotations (Satan's being sealed in Hell against his will by Gabriel; Hell's jaws being sealed by the Son), so I believe that Adam and Eve are also being sealed in their postlapsarian condition against their will, which explains Milton's use of this term here.  I also forgot to mention in my previous posts that sex becomes Adam and Eve's "solace" because it is the only thing they get to take with them from Eden into their postlapsarian exile--the only relic and reminder of their Edenic bliss.

I do respect your position and find it much more plausible than that of the "fallacious" team.  I certainly do not attribute your position to a "gender" issue--I fully agree that impure semen does infect us all. :)

Respectfully,

Oydin