[Milton-L] No antidote

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Sun Apr 20 14:26:11 EDT 2014

" 'The seal / The solace' occurs at the legally and sexually sealing moment of first transmission. Adam seeks solace with Eve in the very moment that he imprints and oppresses all his future descendants."

Thank you, John, for this beautifully phrased formulation.  I continue to be puzzled by people's resistance to hearing the sexual valence of "seal" in this context, and the way the phrasing "seals" the sexual and the legal senses, not to mention the way it seals the solace and the sin.  There's nothing "low" about the imagery or the conceptual content here.  What I find compelling and moving and intellectually interesting is the mixed affective quality of the language.  It's one of those moments that makes me think of Thenot's characterization of Colin's elegy at the end of Spenser's "November:"

Ay franke shepheard, how bene thy verses meint
With doolful pleasaunce, so I ne wotte,
Whether rejoice or weepe for great constrainte
Louis

Louis Schwartz
Professor of English
English Department