[Milton-L] No antidote

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 20 14:18:28 EDT 2014

Now, Professor Leonard--you know me better than that! I just meant that it must be "a guy thing" to see sexual connotation where (to the female intellects that have been party to this discussion) none is justified. Salwa, Oydin, Stella, and I are not prudish; if we were, we'd have shied away from this discussion altogether, and certainly, have avoided the explicit sexual terminology the topic invokes. Milton is not Donne, nor any of the other classical or Renaissance poets, writing suggestive amoretti to his mistresses; he's not Shakespeare's Hamlet, punning on country matters; he's not even Chaucer's Dame Alisoun, expounding upon her belle chose. The only love poem we have from him to a woman is a poem of bereavement, to my recollection (Sonnet XXIII), so it isn't fair to read Donne's (or anyone else's) puns into his words without warrant.

I'm sorry that you were (apparently) offended; that wasn't my intent.

Carol Barton