[Milton-L] An antidote . . .

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 20 13:26:40 EDT 2014

Exactly, Oydin. "Fruitless" can mean "barren" or "useless" or "futile" or un- or non-productive--as in a fruitless argument. It could mean unreproductive (barren) sex, but I think Eve makes it clear in Book X that, for them, that's not even a consideration, when she suggests abstention: she doesn't say, "Hey--let's have"--forgive me!--"only oral or anal sex, and thereby prevent procreation"--she says "let's not have sex at all":

To whom thus Eve, recovering heart, repli'd.
Adam, by sad experiment I know
How little weight my words with thee can finde,
Found so erroneous, thence by just event
Found so unfortunate; nevertheless, [ 970 ]
Restor'd by thee, vile as I am, to place
Of new acceptance, hopeful to regaine
Thy Love, the sole contentment of my heart
Living or dying, from thee I will not hide
What thoughts in my unquiet brest are ris'n, [ 975 ]
Tending to some relief of our extremes,
Or end, though sharp and sad, yet tolerable,
As in our evils, and of easier choice.
If care of our descent perplex us most,
Which must be born to certain woe, devourd [ 980 ]
By Death at last, and miserable it is
To be to others cause of misery,
Our own begotten, and of our Loines to bring
Into this cursed World a woful Race,
That after wretched Life must be at last [ 985 ]
Food for so foule a Monster, in thy power
It lies, yet ere Conception to prevent
The Race unblest, to being yet unbegot.
Childless thou art, Childless remaine:
So Death shall be deceav'd his glut, and with us two [ 990 ]
Be forc'd to satisfie his Rav'nous Maw.
But if thou judge it hard and difficult,
Conversing, looking, loving, to abstain
>From Loves due Rites, Nuptial imbraces sweet,
And with desire to languish without hope, [ 995 ]
Before the present object languishing
With like desire, which would be miserie
And torment less then none of what we dread,
Then both our selves and Seed at once to free
>From what we fear for both, let us make short, [ 1000 ]
Let us seek Death, or he not found, supply
With our own hands his Office on our selves;

The alternative wouldn't preclude "loves due rites," or "nuptial imbraces sweet" by modern standards--and their sexual appetites thus satisfied, they wouldn't "with desire . . . languish without hope"--they just wouldn't be engaging in procreative sex.