[Milton-L] An antidote . . .

Bryson, Michael E michael.bryson at csun.edu
Sat Apr 19 17:37:41 EDT 2014

 "While Adam does not seem to notice any difference in these postlapsarian human relationships, Michael certainly draws the distinction and warns him about deceivingly pleasant appearances of 'wickedness.'"

Michael is an authority on human relationships? Based on what?

I have long thought that Michael is portrayed as a much more severe and all-business version of Raphael, but that other than the differences in tone and perceived "friendliness," they are much the same in terms of the odd, outsider's perspective they bring to the question of what it is to be human. They are full of doctrinal advice, thou shalts and thou shalt nots, and completely lacking in the experience of being human.

And when I look for advice about a difficult *human* problem, I want the voice of experience, not the voice of doctrine.

On what basis does Michael draw a distinction between pre- and postlapsarian relationships? Even in the logic of the poem, Michael does not see past, present, and future all at once. He is presenting a vision to Adam, one that he has no more experience of than does Adam, as he seems to be narrating and interpreting the vision (like a movie) as they watch it together:  "reveale / To Adam what shall come in future dayes, As I shall thee enlighten" (11.113-15). And just as Raphael is of no use whatsoever when Adam is almost pleading for advice on how to handle the feelings he has for Eve (Raphael responds with a chiding lecture because he has absolutely no experiential empathy for Adam's situation), Michael, at least as I read it, is giving the by-the-book interpretation of things for which he has no experiential basis for claiming any insight.

And the Father (who "enlightens" Michael with the interpretation he is to deliver to Adam)? He is the worst of all of them. He sees. He watches. But he has no idea what it is like to be one of his own creations, nor does he seem to care. It is all about him all the time. His pleasure in being obeyed. His indignation at being disobeyed. A loving parent? Give me a break. A father like that in the human world--one who forbids something basic like knowledge, then watches while a much more experienced tempter (whom he has aided and abetted at every stage, to the point of springing from an arrest made by his own security guards) achieves the entirely predictable result, and then blames the *children* and the tempter for the result (but not himself, no...never himself)--would/should have his children taken away from him. The children should love and trust that father enough to obey? Please, give me another break. A responsible father does not put his children in harm's way, having arranged the presence, assisted the journey, and even arranged for the jailbreak of a malevolent "tempter," and then simply watch the proceedings. The story Milton has told in his epic poem is much much much more disturbing than the relatively spare account found in Genesis 3. And the quite-nearly epic attempts to smooth that disturbing quality away, to "justify" not the "ways of God" but the ways of a literary character called "God," simply astound me.

Honestly, sometimes I think that the only character in the poem who even bothers to try to understand Adam and Eve, is Satan. And he does it merely to destroy them--doing the Father's will without even realizing it. And the Son often doesn't seem to care much for human beings either. He seems to regard human beings as, at best (in Paradise Lost) a creature the Father "for [his] glorie...hast made" (3.164), and at worst (in Paradise Regained), as "a herd" (3.49), choosing to describe them with the kind of term a misanthrope might find useful when speaking of the species he hates.

I agree and disagree with Empson. Milton's character "God" is monstrous. But unlike Empson, I do not see Milton trying to make that "God" acceptable. He all but hands "God" a bloody knife and poses him by the bodies of the children he has pronounced the sentence of death upon. Paradise Lost is one of the greatest glories of all the world's literature. But I cannot read it as a paean to angelic wisdom or divine benevolence. Its angels are reduced to their etymology as mere messengers delivering (wonderfully-written and evocative) talking points, and its "God," while one of the most compelling characters in English literature, seems to this reader as far removed as can possibly be from the "loving father" so many wish to find in him.

His messengers, Raphael and Michael, are really no better. Gabriel, Ithuriel, Zephon? Well, at least they tried...but not one of them has the slightest idea of what it is to be human, and I really do not think Milton expected his readers to fail to notice that. Adam and Eve are alone in a crowded and unsympathetic universe--one in which, aside from the animals, every other living thing is trying to manipulate them in some way. But they have no companions except each other, no one to go to for advice that is anything other than prescriptive and removed from actual experience.

Oddly, I'm sure they would find academia a familiar environment--at least as grad students. So many authoritative voices, so many confidently-delivered prescriptions, and all-too-often, so little actual understanding of the dilemma faced by those prescribed to.

Michael Bryson