[Milton-L] "Four-Letter Words"

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 18:08:03 EDT 2014

Please understand, Michael: my comments are in no way intended to be a
(prudish) criticism or judgment of sexual practices between consenting--and
I emphasize consenting--adults in the 21st century, but I cannot believe
that the author of _Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce_ (which despite its
title contains some exquisite passages on the nature of married love) would
have approved of them, or required any of his wives to have engaged in them
(especially if they were not willing, which they wouldn't have been likely
to be, given the sensibilities of the age already cited).

They were not conducive to procreation in a world (for one thing) repeatedly
ravaged by bubonic plague, in Milton's own time--a primarily agrarian
culture in which many hands were needed to till the soil in the sweat of
their brows--and they aren't the sort of thing that one would expect "The
Lady of Christ's" to be enamored of.

Best to all,

Carol Barton