[Milton-L] "Four-Letter Words"

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Fri Apr 18 17:37:00 EDT 2014

That's a great thought, Carol. I suppose all these "prurient" sexual practices will be located in Hell in the future, as in Dante's Inferno? But Eden, just fallen, does not seem to be the right place for all this intense aberrant sexual activity that we've been burdening A & E with. In my opinion, these various acts of sexualitly (like those from the Kama Sutra) do not suddenly appear overnight (literally). There is shame, guilt, and lust, yes, but Eden is not a den of iniquity and perversity.
How much are those "puns" and "connotations" we have been discussing a product of a modern unearthing of meanings in words used in a different culture and a different place and a different time? As Lewis writes, in an essay,"Prudery and Philology," The Spectator ( 22 Jan. 1955)," [W]ords, like every medium, have their own proper powers and limitations" (63). He objected to Milton's description of sex in pre-lapsarian Eden for this reason.
Salwa

Salwa Khoddam PhD
Professor of English Emerita
Oklahoma City University