[Milton-L] "Four-Letter Words"

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 17:27:01 EDT 2014

Milton had no concept of "the life we live," Carrol--so, in a word--yes.

I didn't see anyone from the 17th century at Woodstock . . . and (except
perhaps among sects like the Family of Man and the Adamites) "free love"
wasn't a concept in contemporary theology. Are you aware of some
anthropological study that suggests that respectable Carolinian
couples--much less Puritan/Presbyterian/Independents--engaged in the sorts
of activities that have so occupied this thread on a regular basis? Given
the respect Milton shows for the role of a good wife in her husband's
worship of God in the divorce tracts, and his reverence for both the OT and
the NT,  I sincerely doubt that he would engaged in, or approved of others
engaging in, fellatio or cunnilingus.