[Milton-L] "Four-Letter Words"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 18 17:18:12 EDT 2014

Carol Barton Wrote:  Salwa, I know you addressed your comments to John, but
I can't resist asking (so I hope you will forgive me the intrusion): if
Milton seriously intended to introduce what in some circles are still
considered aberrant sexual behaviors--fellatio being after all a species of
Onanism, in that it ensures that procreation will not occur--why would he
have done so in Eden, and why would he have so degraded his heretofore
exemplary human pair, knowing (because the pre-narrative dictates it) that
they are about to be redeemed? The Satan/Sin/Death triad overtly involves
incest (and so, to a far less blatant and I believe less intentional degree,
does Adam's coupling with Eve); but the former is framed to evoke our
disgust, whereas in the latter case, the de facto incest isn't even
mentioned.

O.K. Then the discussion is strictly limited to the construal of a text and
has no necessary relevance to the life we live.

Carrol