[Milton-L] An antidote . . .

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 17 20:15:58 EDT 2014

Yes, Jeffrey--but it's far less sinister than the the kind of ransacking of which anarchists like the fallen angels dream . . . just a momentary seizure . . . a stolen moment of pure ecstasy.

I don't want to get all girly on you guys, but anyone who has even known the ineffable pleasure of making love to someone to who he or she has given heart and soul knows what Noyes means, and understands what Milton is talking about in DDD when he says (paraphrase, because I haven't the text to hand) that a good marriage lifts the participants' eyes to heaven. It's not the Puritan heaven of grey asceticism, but a joyful embrace of the universe and one's place in it--free and uninhibited and un-sinister--like the angels'.

Best to all,

Carol Barton