[Milton-L] An antidote . . .

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 17 11:10:26 EDT 2014

to all of the salacious images we've been conjuring the past couple of days. This seems to me a wonderful expression of the kind of lovemaking that approaches pre-lapsarian sex in the fallen world--it's not without desire, but it is without lust:

Poem of the Day: Immortal Sails
by Alfred Noyes
Now, in a breath, we'll burst those gates of gold,
   And ransack heaven before our moment fails.
Now, in a breath, before we, too, grow old,
   We'll mount and sing and spread immortal sails.

It is not time that makes eternity.
   Love and an hour may quite out-span the years,
And give us more to hear and more to see
   Than life can wash away with all its tears.

Dear, when we part, at last, that sunset sky
   Shall not be touched with deeper hues than this;
But we shall ride the lightning ere we die
   And seize our brief infinitude of bliss,

With time to spare for all that heaven can tell,
While eyes meet eyes, and look their last farewell.

Source: Collected Poems (1947)
I hope it helps to . . . cleanse the intellectual palate.

Best to all,

Carol Barton

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)