[Milton-L] more on fallacious

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Thu Apr 17 08:56:18 EDT 2014

Yes. I have never had trouble getting students to see the difference.
Here's how I described it in my book:

Their mutual willingness to exploit the other to enhance the self
culminates in their using each other sexually.Their mutual mortification
upon awaking is perhaps the easiest part of the text to teach, as
students resonate powerfully with their experience: they are "oppress'd"
and "wearied" (9.1045), unsatisfied by a "grosser sleep / Bred of
unkindly fumes" (9.1049-50), and embarrassed to look each other in the
eye, although direct and provocative glances played a large part in
getting them to that shady bank.On our campus, students talk about "the
walk of shame": the mythic parade of students leaving the dorms of
partners they picked up at last night's drunken party to return to their
own dorms, wearing paper bags over their heads and hoping to avoid the
Dean of Students, who walks her dog on the main quadrangle around six
o'clock each morning.They have no difficulty understanding Adam's and
Eve's embarrassment, or the finger-pointing that follows.The
self-serving nature of those recriminations, with "neither
self-condemning" (9.1188), is also clear.

(Stupid title not of my choosing: /Milton's Paradise Lost: Moral
Education/ , Palgrave Macmillan, 2007, 154.)

--
Margaret Thickstun
Jane Watson Irwin Professor of English