[Milton-L] forbidden fruit and lapsarian sex

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Tue Apr 15 23:36:15 EDT 2014

"C. S. Lewis just might have the distinction of being the first critic to make a reference to cunnilingus in a book on Milton (yes he really did, but I don't have the page reference to hand)."

I was intrigued by this statement, so I combed *A Preface to Paradise Lost* and the closest I could find was this passage describing the lapsasrian relationship of Adam and Eve:

"Wholly new, and perversely delicious, a tang of evil in sex is now to enter their experience. What will reveal itself on waking as the misery of shame now comes to them . . . as the delighted discovery that obscenity is possible. But could poetry suffice to draw such a distinction? Certainly not Milton's. His Homeric catalogue of flowers is wide of the mark. Yet something he does. Adam's hedonistic calculus--his cool statement that he has never (except perhaps once) been so ripe for 'play' as now--strikes the right note. He would not have said that before he fell. Perhaps he would not have said 'to enjoy thee'. Eve is becoming to him a thing. And she does not mind: all her dreams of godhead have come to that" (PPL. ch. XVIII, 128).
Maybe I didn't comb enough . . .
Salwa

Salwa Khoddam PhD
Professor of English Emerita