[Milton-L] forbidden fruit and lapsarian sex

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Tue Apr 15 18:28:49 EDT 2014

I too am sceptical about the fallacious/fallacious pun, but in fairness to John Savoie we should remember two things:

1) his argument does rest on that supposed pun alone but on the savour pun too ("to each meaning savour we apply / And palate call judicious"). At least I think it did (it has been a while since I read the MQ piece). It might be that this  too is equally far removed from references to fellatio (it certainly does not require such a reference), but it is relevant to this thread and has not (I think) been  mentioned here yet.

2) In answer to Richard Strier's latest point (which, if I understand Richard correctly, is that Donne is uninterested in oral sex), John Savoie might cite Carew's "A Rapture" ll.55-78 which includes a pretty graphic reference to cunnilingus (at least it does to my unregenerate imagination), and the sexual indulgence is figured as eating fruit. Here you go:

Then, as the empty bee that lately bore
Into the common treasure all her store,
Flies 'bout the painted field with nimble wing,
Deflow'ring the fresh virgins of the spring,
So will I rifle all the sweets that dwell
In my delicious paradise, and swell
My bag with honey, drawn forth by the power
Of fervent kisses from each spicy flower.
I'll seize the rose-buds in their perfumed bed,
The violet knots, like curious mazes spread
O'er all the garden, taste the ripen'd cherry,
The warm firm apple, tipp'd with coral berry :
Then will I visit with a wand'ring kiss
The vale of lilies and the bower of bliss ;
And where the beauteous region both divide
Into two milky ways, my lips shall slide
Down those smooth alleys, wearing as they go
A tract for lovers on the printed snow ;
Thence climbing o'er the swelling Apennine,
Retire into thy grove of eglantine,
Where I will all those ravish'd sweets distil
Through Love's alembic, and with chemic skill
>From the mix'd mass one sovereign balm derive,
Then bring that great elixir to thy hive.

I admit that "alembic" (three lines from the end)  brings us back to male genitalia, due to the shape of an alembic (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Felderscrolls.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FAlembic&h=0&w=0&tbnid=H_d-kJSiEHjkvM&zoom=1&tbnh=194&tbnw=259&docid=VqCPOcGuz47WuM&hl=en&tbm=isch&ei=-K5NU9CnN-rV2QX7xYFY&ved=0CAIQsCUoAA), but Carew's alchemist-narrator has been doing some other . . . preliminary experiments in the line "Retire into thy grove of eglantine".

All very far from Milton, but then Milton would (probably) agree that this is appropriate to fallen sex, which was John Savoie's point (he wasn't arguing that Milton approved). True, Milton's (probable) disapproval does not clinch John's case, but I don't think it helps to brush off the whole topic with a lordly "Milton wouldn't go there" (and I know that that is not Richard's point). Some rather surprising people have gone there. C. S. Lewis just might have the distinction of being the first critic to make a reference to cunnilingus in a book on Milton (yes he really did, but I don't have the page reference to hand).

John Leonard