[Milton-L] lapsarian sex

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 15 17:51:45 EDT 2014

I think that what Larisa says is exactly right.  Even pornographic poetry, like Donne's "Love's Progress" elegy were remarkably genitally oriented in their vision of heterosexuality, and that poem sees the woman's mouth as a possible but less desirable location (like the rest of her body except her "centrique part").  And, just to stick with Jack Donne, there is a startling reference to a midwife's perspective in the very heterosexually eager "Going to Bed" elegy.

RS