[Milton-L] that fruit

Matthew Jordan matthewjorda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 16:43:00 EDT 2014

Please forgive me if this material has already been covered (and for using
such a relatively low-grade source); but I half-idly looked up "apple,"
wondering if, and in what sense, the fruit is "native" to Britain...

The forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Durer_Adam_and_Eve.jpg>
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Durer_Adam_and_Eve.jpg>
*Adam and Eve <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve>* by Albrecht
Dürer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer>(1507),
showcasing the apple as a symbol of sin.

Though the forbidden fruit of
Eden<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Eden>in the Book
of Genesis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Genesis> is not
identified, popular Christian tradition has held that it was an apple that
Eve <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve> coaxed
Adam<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve>to share with her.
[32] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple#cite_note-book7-32> The origin of
the popular identification with a fruit unknown in the Middle East in
biblical times is found in confusion between the
Latin<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_language>words
*mālum* (an apple) and *mălum* (an evil), each of which is normally written
*malum*.[33] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple#cite_note-33> The tree of
the forbidden fruit is called "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil"
in Genesis 2:17<http://tools.wmflabs.org/bibleversefinder/?book=Genesis&verse=2:17&src=ESV>,
and the Latin for "good and evil" is *bonum et
malum*.[34]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple#cite_note-34>

Renaissance <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance> painters may also
have been influenced by the story of the golden
apples<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_apple>in the Garden
of Hesperides<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperides#The_Garden_of_the_Hesperides>.
As a result, in the story of Adam and Eve, the apple became a symbol for
knowledge, immortality, temptation, the fall of man into sin, and sin
itself. The larynx <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larynx> in the human
throat has been called Adam's
apple<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam%27s_apple>because of a notion
that it was caused by the forbidden fruit remaining in
the throat of Adam.[32]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple#cite_note-book7-32>The
apple as symbol of sexual
seduction <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction> has been used to imply
human sexuality, possibly in an ironic vein

I then found this on apples in Britain (summary: there's possibly some
Neolithic evidence; but really they were introduced by the Romans and first
mentioned by King Alfred in 885).

http://www.englishapplesandpears.co.uk/history_of_apples_in_uk.php

NB - given how global Britain was from relatively early, I am quite
accustomed to discovering the most characteristically British things are
imports (eg. carrots; not to mention, of course, potatoes - now intrinsic,
due to the British, to much of the cuisine of South-East Asia)...

Of course, fruit in Blake's time would not have been as standardized in
shape as we are accustomed to...

None of this, of course, invalidates Hannibal's point.

Best

Matt