[Milton-L] lapsarian sex

Larisa Zámbóné Kocić larisa.kocic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:17:22 EDT 2014

Dear John,

As far as I am aware of it, sex in the Renaissance, wether sanctioned in
matrimony or practiced as a "sport" for pleasures, always seems to intail
procreation, or at least to strive towards it. Even the lust driven, erotic
literature of the age (and I am here deliberatly sticking with Ian
Moulton's phrase) is replete with procreation, hence, prefering penetrative
sex descriptions - if mentioning other, alternative variations, they are
either featured as foreplays, or are described in derogatory sense not
necessarily connected to the postlapsarian condition as such (see *The
School of Venus* for example). Particularly interesting in this regards
would be Sarah Toulalan's  *Pornography and Bodies in Seventeenth-Century
England* (Oxford UP, 2007), chapter two: "‘What a Fountain of Joys’:
Reproduction and Sexual Pleasure."
So, I am inclined to agree with Oydin about "fallacious" puning on "fall",
if at all.
Thank you for the very intersting article,

Larisa Kocic-Zámbó