[Milton-L] lapsarian sex

Uzakova, Oydin Yashinova oydin.uzakova at okstate.edu
Tue Apr 15 11:45:38 EDT 2014

Milton uses the word "fallacious" only two times in the poem, but both times to describe the lapsarian effect--the first time it appears as "excite/Fallacious hope" (2.567-68) in the fallen angels.  In this first instance, not unlike in "the force of that fallacious fruit" (9.1046) that "inmost powers/Made err" (9.1048-49), it is also connected with "a pleasing sorcery" (2.566) and is a result of "Vain wisdom all, and false philosophy" (2.565).

Considering such similarity of both occurrences and the fallen condition of both angels and Adam and Eve, I believe that Milton's use of "fallacious" is punning more on the words "fall" and "fallen" than anything else (if punning at all).