[Milton-L] lapsarian sex for Carrol Cox

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Apr 15 09:41:02 EDT 2014

What is the basis for claiming that Milton wants sex to be necessarily
connected with reproduction? Clearly, for him marital sex is part of that
"conversation" which is the main purpose of marriage, more essential than
reproduction, although "our Maker bids increase." The contrast he draws in
the Book 4 passage is between sex that is part of a mutual loving
commitment and sex that is predatory and self-gratifying.

I agree that the pun on "fallacious" is unintended. On the other hand, the
implication in Michaelangelo's Temptation seems obvious even if a viewer is
unaware of MB's sexual orientation. My students aways get it.