[Milton-L] lapsarian sex for Carrol Cox

Bob Blair bblair48 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 01:01:56 EDT 2014

> it is all simply English.

With Milton, the adverb I want is not 'simply'.  I'm having trouble coming up with a single one that satisfies, though.

Bob Blair

 Subject: Re: [Milton-L] lapsarian sex for Carrol Cox
 To: "'John Milton Discussion List'" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
 Date: Monday, April 14, 2014, 8:01 PM

 (Thanks to all who helped me on
 this.)

 Whether or not Milton 'intended' this, _after_ the
 suggestion is made it's
 going to be difficult for anyone not to have the possibility
 in mind when
 reading the two passages.

 As to fallen & unfallen language: _if_ the contrast
 exists at all it has to
 be an arbitrary one: there can be no liguistic signs of
 "fallen" as opposed
 to "unfallen" language: it is all simply English.

 And under _all_ interpretations there is no way to insist
 Milton offers us
 "True statements about the world" on this matter. I was at a
 conference of
 Science for the People this weekend -- one of the best
 conferences I've ever
 attended. In the panel on public health, one of the speakers
 began by
 contrasting "FREE ABORTION ON DEMAND NOW" (the all caps to
 indicate oral
 emphasis) with the weak and spineless, "[please sir if you
 will] choice
 [someday]."  If PL won't support that, then that is one
 sharp contrast
 between PL & Truth.

 Note: I don't think making "true statements about the world"
 is relevant to
 the question of literary "worth." (I have to think this
 because of my
 profound disagreement with the world views of all my
 favorite writers.)
 And see in this connection