[Milton-L] lapsarian sex for Carrol Cox

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:54:49 EDT 2014

Ha... o God. That's too much. I'm not buying it, but I'm glad he wrote the
article, and I'm going to have to find it and read it now.

Does he draw in then-contemporary discourse about non-reproductive sex
(which would include oral sex)? We even see some shots taken at this in Mel
Gibson's Apocalypto.

Jim R

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Margaret Thickstun
<mthickst at hamilton.edu>wrote:

>  Okay, here is the upshot of John Savoie's MQ article:
>
> "Simply put, before the fall Adam and Eve have conventional sexual
> intercourse that would lead naturally to pregnancy, family, and a fully
> realized society. Om contrast, their fallen lovemaking, glossed as 'lust,'
> turns to oral sex that effectively separates sexual pleasure from that
> continuum" (Savoie, MQ 45:3:161).
>
> He follows the pun on "fallacious" and "fellatio," considers Catullus,
> Martial, *Samson Agonistes*, and has made it impossible for me to look at
> Michelangelo's depiction of the Fall without blushing.
>
> It all leads up to "And so they experience 'the force of that fallacious
> Fruit,' until they waken from their postprandial slumber, 'now soil'd and
> stain'd / And in [their] faces evident the signs / Of foul concupiscence'
> (1046, 1076-78). The image need not be exclusively metaphysical, but rather
> a material soil and stain before it becomes a sign" (MQ 45:3:167).
>
> I was a resisting reader, but I could not resist it.
>

> --
> Margaret Thickstun
> Jane Watson Irwin Professor of English
> Hamilton College