[Milton-L] lapsarian sex for Carrol Cox

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Mon Apr 14 15:50:57 EDT 2014

Okay, here is the upshot of John Savoie's MQ article:

"Simply put, before the fall Adam and Eve have conventional sexual
intercourse that would lead naturally to pregnancy, family, and a fully
realized society. Om contrast, their fallen lovemaking, glossed as
'lust,' turns to oral sex that effectively separates sexual pleasure
from that continuum" (Savoie, MQ 45:3:161).

He follows the pun on "fallacious" and "fellatio," considers Catullus,
Martial, /Samson Agonistes/, and has made it impossible for me to look
at Michelangelo's depiction of the Fall without blushing.

It all leads up to "And so they experience 'the force of that fallacious
Fruit,' until they waken from their postprandial slumber, 'now soil'd
and stain'd / And in [their] faces evident the signs / Of foul
concupiscence' (1046, 1076-78). The image need not be exclusively
metaphysical, but rather a material soil and stain before it becomes a
sign" (MQ 45:3:167).

I was a resisting reader, but I could not resist it.

--
Margaret Thickstun
Jane Watson Irwin Professor of English