[Milton-L] Apropos of nothing

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 12:52:54 EDT 2014

It's all over everywhere, in many churches (Southwark Cathedral for
instance), and in the jewel that Elizabeth I wears in her famous Pelican
Portrait. Whitney has an emblem featuring it, with the motto "Quod in te
est, prome." I write about the pelican figure in *The Bible in Shakespeare*,
since it crops up in *Hamlet* and *King Lear*. I'm not sure where the
Christian interpretation originates, though it's a pretty natural
development. The legend of the pelican's peculiar feeding habit appears in
Isidore of Seville's *Etymologies*, though the story there is a little
weirder (and less Christian). Isidore recounts the story that the pelican
first kills its offspring, and then revives them with its own blood.

Hannibal

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Jameela Lares <jameela.lares at usm.edu>wrote:

> Of course the pelican is an iconographic symbol for Christ.  Both the
> Corpus Christi Colleges at Oxford and Cambridge use it for their coats of
> arms.
>
> Jameela Lares
> Professor of English
> The University of Southern Mississippi
> 118 College Drive, #5037
> Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
> 601 266-4319 ofc
> 601 266-5757 fax

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
Editor, *Reformation*
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall