[Milton-L] Apropos of nothing

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 10:30:28 EDT 2014

Well, Milton may not have been interested in pelicans, but Crashaw is
another story:

O soft self-wounding Pelican!
Whose breast weeps Balm for wounded man.
All this way bend thy benign flood
To a bleeding Heart that gasps for blood.
That blood, whose least drops sovereign be
To wash my worlds of sins from me.
Come love! Come Lord! and that long day
For which I languish, come away.
When this dry soul those eyes shall see,
And drink the unseal'd source of thee.
When Glory's sun faith's shades shall chase,
And for thy veil give me thy Face.
Amen.

(For a particular treat, check out the setting of this text by Gerald
Finzi, "Lo, the Full Final Sacrifice.")

Hannibal

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 5:25 AM, Gregory Machacek <
Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu> wrote:

>  Well, of course, not "seen"
>

> Greg Machacek
> Professor of English
> Marist College

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
Editor, *Reformation*
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall