[Milton-L] assumptions about the fruit, a question for john leonard

cbartonphd1 cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 11 17:21:22 EDT 2014

Good summation,  Oydin!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S®III

-------- Original message --------
From: "Uzakova, Oydin Yashinova" <oydin.uzakova at okstate.edu>
Date:04/11/2014  4:28 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] assumptions about the fruit, a question for john leonard

Perhaps the last move could be:

The "taste" of the fruit of the forbidden tree is "unique" only in so far as it is prohibited from being known without disobeying the creator, because as soon as one tastes the forbidden fruit and thus has a chance to compare its flavor with other fruits, it becomes impossible.  Becoming immediately postlapsarian, this "new" taste cannot be accurately compared to prelapsarian Adam and Eve's tastes of Eden's other fruits.

Also, is it completely unthinkable to rephrase God's prohibition the following way: you must not eat the fruit of this particular (apple) fruit tree, growing next to the Tree of Life, nor is there any need for you to want it, since there are so many other similar (apple) fruit trees in the garden.  In other words, if a parent prohibits his children to taste apples from one particular apple tree while allowing them to do so from all of the other apple trees of the same species in the orchard, he still can say "amid the choice/Of all tastes else to please their appetite."  The children would still be tempted to taste the seemingly same apples from that "interdicted" apple tree simply because it was singled out by their parent.  That is why this particular (apple) tree's location is so important since there is no other sign of its difference from other trees of the same species.  That is also why Eve had to be physically brought to it by Satan before she realized that the fruit tree in question was in fact the forbidden one.