[Milton-L] obedience to your creator

David Ainsworth dainsworth at as.ua.edu
Fri Apr 11 14:16:30 EDT 2014

I'm late to this discussion and wallowing in end-of-semester work, so
I'm contributing having read only a portion of the thread. Apologies.

I see Michael's point here about shutting down discourse, but I don't
see that either a theological or a historicist perspective necessarily
shuts down discourse, only that it is at present the dominant means to
do so. Approaching the poem theologically can open up or (more
interestingly, to me) replicate existing discourse within the
Judeo-Christian tradition.

My undergrad Milton class this year is focused on Milton's Satan. Most
of my students could be reasonably described as strongly Protestant
Christians. As they started Paradise Lost, they began convinced that
Satan was evil and a deceiver, and I worried that no debate would arise
at all.

As reading and discussion continued, the class attitude shifted against
God and toward Satan. One of my more outspoken students declared Satan
the hero and God a jerk (he may have used stronger language). Several
students maintained God's virtue--that these students typically paid
more attention to the specific language of the poem does not prove their
position accurate, only that one must attend closely to language in
order to maintain it--while a few proposed that God was using Satan,
possibly with his connivance, to test Creation.

As they finished the poem, their positions altered yet again. My
outspoken student concluded that the events of the poem were a scheme by
God "the jerk" to put the Son in his place, and that this end was "good"
even if the means were suspect; he thus ended up defending God in a
sense and condemning Satan. One student differentiated between "good"
(which she took both God and Milton's God to be by definition) and
"just," concluding that Satan is right that God is unjust but that God
must be good regardless. One student noted that while Satan talks about
good and evil all the time, the Father doesn't directly call Satan evil,
instead using terms like "adversary" or "rebel" or "Fiend." Given
another week of thought, I suspect he'd have arrived at the conclusion
that evil in the poem is an illusion and that only good is "real."

My students are quite aware that Paradise Lost isn't direct from the
mouth of the God most of them believe in. But they see a difference in
how they parse the characters because to them, the poem is "based on a
true story" (although for some, that story is itself allegorical). If I
have understood correctly what my Creative Writing colleagues have told
me about the field of creative non-fiction, Paradise Lost might
comfortably sit on the boundary between that and historical fiction
(depending in large part upon how far one buys in to the "Milton as
prophet" narrative which he offers in several of his works). Holding up
the mirror to Creation must inevitably result in distortion, but fiction
and non-fiction can't be easily or readily disentangled, even if they
can be differentiated. If we posit this kind of artistic production as
an attempt to access an ontological truth, then I think Jim can be both
right and wrong: right in that the poem may actually mimetically
associate itself with its subject, wrong about the level of reality of
the characters in the poem. Even autobiography walks the line between
truth and invention; its success as autobiography depends more upon the
results of the mixture of the two, less on how it upholds the truth alone.

Am I rambling toward a point? Only that Paradise Lost's ability to
generate out of itself that which the Judeo-Christian tradition
generates suggests that the epic successfully engages with its
subject(s). Whether or not "God" exists as the Judeo-Christian tradition
defines him (in the many, sometimes differing ways it does) matters
less, I think, than whether Paradise Lost can be read as a part of that
tradition, or as an artifact about or regarding the tradition. The
tradition is real, even if all its contents are fictions.

If I understand Michael's argument, I disagree with him in that I think
Milton's God must be taken with (but not as) the Judeo-Christian God.
But Carrol's distinction matters deeply in my arriving at that
disagreement. "Based on a true story" offers a wide range between
"historical reconstruction" and "utterly unsupported wish-fulfillment."

David