[Milton-L] both because they're his and because they're just

Horace Jeffery Hodges horacejeffery at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 18:27:02 EDT 2014

Good to see that others here (at least one) are reading Blumenberg -- and
correctly, too!

Regina Schwartz, in her short but brilliant work, *Remembering and
Repeating: On Milton's Theology and Poetics*, misreads Blumenberg in
interesting ways.

Blumenberg himself misunderstands Gnosticism, failing to recognize that
Manichaen Gnosticism was very different from the Marcion kind and that both
of these are quite different from what has been called "Classical
Gnosticism."

But Blumenberg got enough right to enable him to perform a compelling
analysis of Late Medieval Scholasticism and its Gnostic tendencies.

Jeffery Hodges.

Ewha Womans University
Seoul, South Korea

Novella: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E18KW0K (*The Bottomless Bottle of
Beer*)

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bottomless-Bottle-of-Beer/204064649770035
 (*The Bottomless Bottle of Beer*)

Blog: http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/ (*Gypsy Scholar*)

Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic
Texts"

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

Home Address: