[Milton-L] obedience to your creator

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 10 18:03:05 EDT 2014

Yes.

From: Michael Gillum
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:59 AM
To: John Milton Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] obedience to your creator

If I may offer a connection between two arguments going on in this thread: given that PL's understanding of rightness is what Harold Skulsky says it is, obedience to God is obedience to the good, and so obedience to God is good for the creatures. It is for their benefit, not God's.

Michael B.,

I want to comment on what you earlier described as Satan's "ethical claim," unrebutted by Abdiel.

 if not equal all, yet free,
Equally free; for Orders and Degrees
Jarr not with liberty, but well consist.
Who can in reason then or right assume
Monarchie over such as live by right [ 795 ]
His equals, if in power and splendor less,
In freedome equal?

PL defines freedom as acting according to reason, "reason alone is free." The germ of truth in Satan's BS about freedom and equality is that all the rational creatures were created free and capable of freedom, "till they enslave themselves." PL defines that servitude as "serving th'unwise." With his sophistical rhetoric of freedom, Satan is leading his followers into servitude.

In the part about "Orders and Degrees," Satan is saying, "Of course, I'm properly the boss of you and deserve to have the glittery palace." He diverts attention from the fact that he himself has always had a natural superior, the Father. He pretends that the Son has usurped ("assumed") power, when actually he was appointed by the Highest, and for good reason.

You write, "Abdiel does not base his case on morality or goodness or ontological superiority (whatever that might be--how does one "exist" in a superior way, unless that is code for having greater power?)." It is by insisting on the Son's creation of the angels that Abdiel establishes the Son's ontological superiority. You conflate creative power with destructive power, but they are very different. Creation is beneficent and establishes the goodness of the creator as well as the obligation of the creature to gratefully serve. The Son "exists in a superior way" because he is wiser and better as well as more powerful. I have granted that the angels may not know much about the Son at this point, but they should trust the Father's word that his kingship has a purpose and will benefit them.

I wish Milton had given a clearer account of how Abdiel knows about the angels' creation but Satan can claim not to know. I take it that Satan is addressing a lie to his followers. True, they ought to know whether or not it is actually a "new" doctrine. But the followers trust Satan, and if he has never heard of being created, maybe they would doubt whoever told them they were created. Remember, Eve knew exactly how she was created, but Satan managed to instill doubt in her mind about that crucial consideration.

The reason the Father threatens so severely in his decree is that he knows Satan is breaking bad. Fairness requires a clear warning of the consequences.

You are correct that the Son figures in this episode as a military hero, agent of violence, or Messiah. Likewise he appears in the judgement scene as a judge, in the intercession scene as a kindly intercessor, in the creation story as a creator. --Best, Michael G.