[Milton-L] obedience to your creator

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Apr 10 16:23:24 EDT 2014

As we think of the Son as victorious warrior-king in Book 6, it's worth
remembering that his war-machine heals the wounded landscape of Heaven and
his only weapon is a sound-and-light show that induces panic in the enemy.
There could hardly be a less violent battle scene.

Milton can hardly bring himself to valorize war--he makes a half-hearted
effort on day one, but the stupidity of immortals trying to kill each other
comes through. The second day is grotesque and cartoonish, with no further
talk of glory. Raphael's narration explicitly points up the wastefulness of
war. --Michael G.