[Milton-L] both because they're his and because they're just

JCarl Bellinger dionhalic at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 15:38:44 EDT 2014

«being utter'd with those native colours and graces of speech, as true
eloquence the daughter of vertue can best bestow upon her mothers praises,
would so incite, and in a manner, charme the multitude into the love of
that which is really good, »
It seems the author of PL have a dog in this hunt which this discussion
ought to track down. Has
Milton in some ways constructed the literary fabric of the poem (from which
we are quoting) so as to -subliminally- effect changes in our feelings or
thoughts or desires? All the while we're kept busy with dazzling image &
puzzling argument, we're being systematically hit below the belt of
conscious discourse & admiration.
-Carl