[Milton-L] obedience to your creator

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 13:20:46 EDT 2014

I would like to add that even some rather conservative authors such as C.S.
Lewis -- who do not believe in playing with the net down -- do not accept
the proposition that "God commands [moral laws] because they are right."
The problem is that this concept sets the moral law somehow above or prior
to God, which leaves us with a problem: where did this law originate if God
is subject to it rather than author of it? Attempts to answer this question
lead to absurdities, to circular logic, or to abandoning the original
proposition.

Rather than thinking either "It is right because God commands it" or that
"God commands it because it is right," it may be that "right" or the "moral
law" or "dharma" or the Tao or whatever you want to call it is the Divine
nature itself expressed in the sphere of action, so that the problem is
with dividing "God" and "law" into subject and predicate to begin with
(whichever one occupies whichever position), so that the relationship
between the Divine and moral law is the relationship between a tree and its
leaves.

But I won't argue that Milton was in the "God commands it because it is
right" camp, which may well account for some of the more unsavory
characteristics of his version of God.

Jim R