[Milton-L] Relative intelligence

cbartonphd1 cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 9 09:50:29 EDT 2014

Evan, in Milton's universe, scientia is hierarchical: God is omniscient,  the Son is almost omniscient,  and the angels know a little less than the Son--including what we might call the corporate history of the universe.  Adam and Eve's ontology is less than the angels', and they know little of their own environment, which they are still exploring. The critical lack for them is the inability to discern hypocrisy--which did not exist, prior to Lucifer's revolt--and through which only God can see. Satan knows the OT (wrathful, vengeful,  Calvinistic) God; Adam and Eve only a benevolent Creator. The angels know the might of the Adversary; Adam and Eve, only that there is one. Adam and Eve have no experience with sophistry or philosophy . . . Satan is the Father of Lies, and his words, like Belial's, are "cloth'd in Reason's garb."

I hope that makes the distinction (at least as I've been arguing it) clearer.

Best to all,

Carol Barton

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S®III-------- Original message --------