[Milton-L] Relative intelligence

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Wed Apr 9 09:26:57 EDT 2014

Evan, you are right that it's not a matter of how much knowledge. There is
a traditional claim that the angels' intelligence is intuitive--they just
"see" the truth, like when you suddenly had an insight into a geometrical
theorem in the 8th or 9th grade. By contrast, human intelligence is more
discursive and proceeds through a chain of reasoning. Raphael explains this
at 5.486-90, but adds that they are differing only in degree. In the
temptation, Eve gets caught up in chains of reasoning and forgets the
simple truth that she has well understood.

Another important point is that Milton, and Christian humanists before him
(like Hooker), thought of reason as a moral faculty that tells right from
wrong: "reason is our law."