[Milton-L] obedience

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 8 14:00:52 EDT 2014

Milton's God does expect his subjects to obey inscrutable and arbitrary commands.  Wouldn't be a "test" in the Miltonic sense otherwise -- a test of obedience.  If they understood, it would be a test in prudence.  M's God sends the angels on pointless errands to test their obedience.  A bad feature of the poem, I think, but very important to Milton (I've argued this in "Milton's Fetters:  Or, Why Eden is Better than Heaven").

Richard Strier
Sulzberger Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus
Editor, Modern Philology
Department of English
University of Chicago
1115 E. 58th St.