[Milton-L] gastroMilton and teen angels

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 13:24:32 EDT 2014

Well, Margie . . . Cherubim are traditionally depicted as toddlers (think
Raphael--the artist, I mean) . . . but they may, in a fallen world,
reasonably be thought to be the young souls of little ones who died while
still innocent. Those wouldn't exist, in prelapsarian Heaven--so maybe it's
more like the angelic hierarchy described by the angel Clarence in _It's a
Wonderful Life_ . . . where they mature as they mature in wisdom.

Actually, I think Milton gave the invading angel the shape of a child to
emphasize his seeming innocence--perhaps nodding for a moment (as he does
when Samson prays for light to revisit eyes he no longer has)?

Best to all,

Carol Barton