[Milton-L] obedience

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Apr 8 12:38:38 EDT 2014

Carol, that's an interesting point about the "falling" angels having an
opportunity--according to Abdiel--to undo the damage if they stop short of
actual war and repent. Eve did not have the advantage of hearing a
counter-voice to Satan's.

Regarding your second paragraph, I would emphasize that Adam and Eve both
understood the reason for the prohibition (4.412-45). The test is
reasonable; only the choice of tree is arbitrary. In my understanding,
Milton's God does not expect his subjects to obey inscrutable or arbitrary
commands. The Son is perfectly obedient because he believes that the Father
wills what is good and right.

Michael