[Milton-L] gastroMilton

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Tue Apr 8 11:51:16 EDT 2014

Of course, prelapsarian animals procreate: it happens right off when God
says "let there be fish and fowl"--they hatch and fledge and Milton
can't decide which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Now, what I want to know is about angelic reproduction: after all, Satan
disguises himself as a stripling Cherub:

And now a stripling Cherube
<http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Emilton/reading_room/pl/book_3/notes.shtml#cherub>
he appeers,
Not of the prime, yet such as in his face
Youth smil'd Celestial.  (Book 3.636-38)

That suggests angels of different ages. They must come from somewhere.
And I doubt Milton was nodding. He is a very gifted creative
writer--when there are continuity errors, such as "conviction to the
serpent none belongs". . . . Smash the serpent, he's aware of them and
jumps up and down to tell you they aren't there.--Margie

--
Margaret Thickstun
Jane Watson Irwin Professor of English