[Milton-L] A & E & Satan

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 14:13:39 EDT 2014

I'd agree, Richard, but look at where Adam is already going with it:

This Woman whom thou mad'st to be my help,
And gav'st me as thy perfet gift, so good,
So fit, so acceptable, so
Divine<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/pl/book_10/notes.shtml#divine>
,
That from her hand I could suspect no ill, [ 140 ]
And what she did, whatever in it self,
Her doing seem'd to
justifie<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/pl/book_10/notes.shtml#justifie>
the
deed;
Shee gave me of the Tree, and I did eate.

He's blaming Eve for being so sweet and innocent and God for giving her to
him, not to mention the rather nasty argument at the end of Book 9. I think
the differences are a matter of time and degree.

Jim R