[Milton-L] had removd

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Mon Apr 7 14:11:53 EDT 2014

Alan and Jim,

I would argue that the condition of A&E at the end of Book 10 is precisely
"Christian regeneration by the Holy Spirit," because God has accepted their
repentance through the intercession of the Son. As Harold Skulsky points
out, it doesn't matter that the crucifixion hasn't happened yet in "vulgar
time."

Prevenient grace was already there, as symbolized by the clothing with
skins, but during the night after judgement Adam was clearly not
regenerate, what with his disordered philosophizing and his vicious attack
upon the penitent Eve. A&E have to decide to confess and pray for
forgiveness before they can be reconciled with God. This is the gap between
the arrival of prevenient grace and actual regeneration, a gap which is
collapsed by the narrator's language at the beginning of Book 11.

Michael