[Milton-L] had removd

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:47:34 EDT 2014

Right -- the "regeneration" of Bk 11 isn't Christian regeneration by the
Holy Spirit. It's a return for Adam and Eve to a prior, human state that is
not in a position of inherent enmity with God. Without that regeneration,
they would be more like Satan in their consciousness -- where I go is Hell,
I myself am Hell, etc.

Jim R

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM, alan horn <alanshorn at gmail.com> wrote:

>  the Book 11 passage says prevenient grace caused A&E to be regenerate,
>> while the Book 3 passage says that it merely softens stony hearts, which
>> still must respond appropriately to God's persistent calling.
>>

> I would argue that the figurative language in the opening of XI, adapted
> from Ezekiel 11:19, and that of softening stony hearts in III come to
> exactly the same thing.

Dr. James Rovira
Associate Professor of English
Tiffin University