[Milton-L] prevenient (was crucifixion)

JD Fleming jfleming at sfu.ca
Mon Apr 7 12:34:23 EDT 2014

May I point out that I mentioned pedantry with regard to the other member of this conversation. But hey--we all find the funny where we can, don't we.

1.
[DD] I think you're technically correct but blur an important
distinction. Yes, prevenient grace *is* irresistible, insofar it results
from a blanket divine policy (see 3.188-202). It's not optional. But
what is optional is what one does with it. Prevenient grace (I'm
pedantically tempted to dive into etymology but won't) precedes the
grace/light promised in Book 3. There's more grace on its way, so to
speak, which is not irresistible (God's "day of grace" doesn't begin and
end with sunrise).

I see prevenient grace a bit like life itself. I didn't ask to be born
("without so much as a by-your-leave"), but much depends on what I do
with that gift amid the odd, unstable amalgam of constraint and agency
we call human freedom.

--I entirely agree. So don't see what distinction I'm blurring. A+E are fit to receive the grace that God gives them to make them fit to receive his grace--that is, they are fit to receive his "coming-before" (prevenient) grace. And the proof is that they pray well, thereby unlocking the next tranche of grace. I think the interesting point here is that this means God made them better (than he made Satan). We are watching the proper functioning of a well-made soteriological mechanism; the shape of which, however, is a circle.

2.
[JDF] "it really seems a fallacy of historicism to suppose that just
because we can find period sources asserting that a given conundrum
isn't one, it isn't a conundrum."

[DD] Again, technically true, and a useful caution. Neither am I a fan
of saying "Here's an analogue from one of Milton's contemporaries, so
this is what Milton must have meant." (I might replace "must" with
"might.") But surely literary interpretation deals in plausibility. And
surely if a writer in the 1650s talks about grace in terms of *not*
resisting God's offer ("take heed that when God speaks, you stop not
your eares; when God shines upon you, that you shut not your eyes")
using vocabulary that likewise appears in PL, then that enhances the
plausibility of the reading I indicated. It doesn't compel it. It
doesn't prove it. It doesn't obviate a conundrum if the conundrum is
real. It does seem to me, however, to offer a hermeneutic superior to
the one (common enough in literary criticism, though I'm not accusing
you of it) that merely alleges a conundrum with even less of an
historical basis than your "historicist" critic offers in support of a
positive possible reading. (I will leave unexamined for now your DDR
analogy.)

--Don't think I'm arguing for ignorance, so, sure. Will say that I find the "historical splaining away" tendency in M criticism regrettable, since I think he deploys conundrum and even contradiction with an almost postmodern vigour.

3.
[JDF] (from previous post) "I still do not understand how a teaching
that is Calvinist can't be called Calvinist."

Again, I think you're correct technically. At the same time, it's not
terribly *useful* to call a doctrine (the Virgin Birth, let's say)
Calvinist if it's also Arminian, Jesuit, Dominican, Jansenist, etc. Alan
Horn's point, as I understood it (referring to total depravity, if I've
got my facts straight) -- "It is not distinctive to Calvinism" -- had to
do with the interpretive helpfulness of the designation. Calvin is a
name many moderns and perhaps postmoderns reflexively like to dislike,
so to assert "Doctrine X is Calvinist" instantly bumps it down the
league tables -- not a maneuver with a lot of intellectual integrity
(again, I'm not accusing you). I'd add only that the more one reads in
sixteenth- and seventeenth-century theological debates, the more
subtleties and distinctions one discerns -- and so the more leery of
labels one becomes. To cite only one germane example, I'd argue that
Calvin's own doctrine of "total depravity" in The Institutes (basically,
against the Scholastics: "there's no aspect of human life untouched by
the effects of the Fall") differs greatly from what his so-called
followers (Synod of Dort etc.) made of it (reading "total" not as
comprehensive but as "utter"). But that's another conversation.

--The interesting thing about the way this conversation has played out is that it really doesn't matter at all whether prevenient grace is Calvinist. What matters is simply that it's prevenient.

Please accept a pedant's "pax et bonum."
DD

On 14-04-06 6:03 PM, JD Fleming wrote:
> Professor Danielson, nice to hear from you. I think my responses are
> pretty much in my previous post. The opening of 11 wd appear to provide
> the theory for everything we see in 10. Perhaps I will simply add that
> it really seems a fallacy of historicism to suppose that just because we
> can find period sources asserting that a given conundrum isn't one, it
> isn't a conundrum. If we looked back at the history of the DDR, for
> example, I'm sure we would find many quite impressive authorities
> asserting that even though East German citizens who wished to travel
> internationally had to apply for exit visas and passports that would
> almost certainly be denied, that didn't mean they weren't free to
> travel. Similarly, etc. JD Fleming

J ames Dougal Fleming
Associate Professor
Department of English
Simon Fraser University
778-782-4713

Burnaby -- British Columbia -- Canada.

Upstairs was a room for travelers. ‘You know, I shall take it for the rest of my life,’ Vasili Ivanovich is reported to have said as soon as he had entered it.
-- Vladimir Naboko v , " Cloud, Castle, Lake'