[Milton-L] prevenient (was crucifixion)

Dennis Danielson danielso at mail.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 6 23:03:03 EDT 2014

Professor Fleming, nice to hear from you also. Thanks for this reply, as
well as for the previous one. I'd like to respond to three things you
say that I think are a bit skewed (or at least need clarifying), and
then I'll resume my posture of quiet lurker.

1.
[JDF] "I do not see, in this passage [beginning of Book 11], any
indication that Adam and Eve are 'free to accept or reject' grace. Quite
the contrary: a prevenient grace that performs a moral heart transplant,
without so much as a by-your-leave, would appear to be as close as one
can get to an evacuation of soteriological volition under the sign of
the divine power."

[DD] I think you're technically correct but blur an important
distinction. Yes, prevenient grace *is* irresistible, insofar it results
from a blanket divine policy (see 3.188-202). It's not optional. But
what is optional is what one does with it. Prevenient grace (I'm
pedantically tempted to dive into etymology but won't) precedes the
grace/light promised in Book 3. There's more grace on its way, so to
speak, which is not irresistible (God's "day of grace" doesn't begin and
end with sunrise).

I see prevenient grace a bit like life itself. I didn't ask to be born
("without so much as a by-your-leave"), but much depends on what I do
with that gift amid the odd, unstable amalgam of constraint and agency
we call human freedom.

2.
[JDF] "it really seems a fallacy of historicism to suppose that just
because we can find period sources asserting that a given conundrum
isn't one, it isn't a conundrum."

[DD] Again, technically true, and a useful caution. Neither am I a fan
of saying "Here's an analogue from one of Milton's contemporaries, so
this is what Milton must have meant." (I might replace "must" with
"might.") But surely literary interpretation deals in plausibility. And
surely if a writer in the 1650s talks about grace in terms of *not*
resisting God's offer ("take heed that when God speaks, you stop not
your eares; when God shines upon you, that you shut not your eyes")
using vocabulary that likewise appears in PL, then that enhances the
plausibility of the reading I indicated. It doesn't compel it. It
doesn't prove it. It doesn't obviate a conundrum if the conundrum is
real. It does seem to me, however, to offer a hermeneutic superior to
the one (common enough in literary criticism, though I'm not accusing
you of it) that merely alleges a conundrum with even less of an
historical basis than your "historicist" critic offers in support of a
positive possible reading. (I will leave unexamined for now your DDR
analogy.)

3.
[JDF] (from previous post) "I still do not understand how a teaching
that is Calvinist can't be called Calvinist."

Again, I think you're correct technically. At the same time, it's not
terribly *useful* to call a doctrine (the Virgin Birth, let's say)
Calvinist if it's also Arminian, Jesuit, Dominican, Jansenist, etc. Alan
Horn's point, as I understood it (referring to total depravity, if I've
got my facts straight) -- "It is not distinctive to Calvinism" -- had to
do with the interpretive helpfulness of the designation. Calvin is a
name many moderns and perhaps postmoderns reflexively like to dislike,
so to assert "Doctrine X is Calvinist" instantly bumps it down the
league tables -- not a maneuver with a lot of intellectual integrity
(again, I'm not accusing you). I'd add only that the more one reads in
sixteenth- and seventeenth-century theological debates, the more
subtleties and distinctions one discerns -- and so the more leery of
labels one becomes. To cite only one germane example, I'd argue that
Calvin's own doctrine of "total depravity" in The Institutes (basically,
against the Scholastics: "there's no aspect of human life untouched by
the effects of the Fall") differs greatly from what his so-called
followers (Synod of Dort etc.) made of it (reading "total" not as
comprehensive but as "utter"). But that's another conversation.

Please accept a pedant's "pax et bonum."
DD