[Milton-L] had removd

JD Fleming jfleming at sfu.ca
Sun Apr 6 20:56:54 EDT 2014

"Thus they in lowliest plight repentant stood
Praying, for from the Mercie-seat above
Prevenient Grace descending had remov'd
The stonie from thir hearts, & made new flesh
Regenerate grow instead, that sighs now breath'd
Unutterable, which the Spirit of prayer
Inspir'd, and wing'd for Heav'n with speedier flight
Then loudest Oratorie."

I do not see, in this passage, any indication that Adam and Eve are "free to accept or reject" grace. Quite the contrary: a prevenient grace that performs a moral heart transplant, without so much as a by-your-leave, would appear to be as close as one can get to an evacuation of soteriological volition under the sign of the divine power. And it is precisely because ("for") this has happened that they stand praying. It is very much as if the scene we have witnessed at the end of book 10 is meant to invite us to suppose a primary soteriological role for the first parents' repentance; only to pull away that carpet with the opening of 11. Even the "spirit of prayer," here, is treated as external to Adam and Eve, operating upon and within them like some Neoplatonic demigod.

Now: it is clearly the case that the transplant works ; the new flesh takes . And this would be a major distinction between A+E and Satan, insofar as we reasonably suppose (based on his monologue at the beginning of 4, among other stuff), that grace would not work in him. But that is to say that in the difference between Satan and A+E, we are not talking about a difference in moral volition. We are talking about a difference in moral kind. They are better than he is; God made them better. Perhaps he is just getting better at creating. But this is down to him, not down to them.

As for the other matter, I still do not understand how a teaching that is Calvinist can't be called Calvinist, whatever else it is. And yeah--that kind of pointless harrumph is indeed pedantic. JDF