[Milton-L] human intellectual & moral capacity re: Strier

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Sun Apr 6 18:37:40 EDT 2014

Professor Barton:

Thanks for your reminder to us all that intellect is no guarantee of right action. Far from it. Indeed, not only is Satan (or any Angel, presumably) incomparably brighter than Einstein or Bach, the very 'failure' or 'fall' of Satan and crew is a perfect object lesson in the fallibility of Reason (pretty much repeated, btw, in Books XI & XII) as a guide to goodness. And not only are we pretty easily deceived by hypocrisy in others but we are also self-deceived by it! Except. Except for that unease that rises from the gut (or descends from above [preveniently]) or comes from the heart directly (what's called, I think, wrongly 'conscience' in the sense that it is associated with 'consciousness' hence intellect; it would be better labeled 'corscience,' as in 'the heart has reasons reason knows nothing of.'

In Blake, all these means of directing action are known as the 'Zoas' --about which an inordinate amount of ingenious but useless commentary has arisen. In brief, though, what Blake shows in his work is that to turn over ethical decision making to any One of these energies (and I'll use the clumsy terms most often assigned them: Reason, Sensation, Emotion or Intuition) is to institute tyranny and confusion. Indeed, the reason Blake persists in using his own 'mythology' and 'labels' for them is his insight into the fact that the Four are a dynamic, not hierarchical, system: the overlap one another and 'rotate' the business of understanding between them.

Patriarchy, alas, is hierarchical, static and dead -- as are the models derived from it. But once you let it go, "The World [is] all before [you] where to choose."  It's the failure of the Chorus and Manoa at the the end of S.A. to grasp the fact that Champions are not needed that makes it tragic. I think, too, that P.R., by trying to make the point positively, fails both aesthetically and ethically.

Sorry. Got carried away.

Jim Watt