[Milton-L] human intellectual & moral capacity re: Strier

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 6 17:19:55 EDT 2014

I beg emphatically to differ, Professor Strier.

In my admittedly humble opinion, the whole **point** of Milton's composition of _Paradise Lost_ is to demonstrate that **the best of us--including and especially John Milton--are not Satan's intellectual match, and never will be.

Book 3 reminds us that even among the angel defenders of Eden,

So spake the false dissembler unperceivd;
For neither Man nor Angel can discern
Hypocrisie, the onely evil that walks
Invisible, except to God alone,
By his permissive will, through Heav'n and Earth: [ 685 ]

I wrote an entire dissertation (directed by Tom Kranidas) on the impact of the difference between "seems" and "is" in a world that had lost all of its discriminatory signposts. Devils no longer wore horns and carried pitchforks (perhaps the basis of legislatively-imposed stigmata), and none of the old truths, including and especially the Bible (as interpreted by the Roman Catholic church) could be trusted to be true. Look sometime at the phenomenal amount of masking, bedtricks, hypocrisy, good playing evil and evil playing good in the 18th century: hypocrisy and subterfuge had been treated in plays and literature before, but never with such frantic uniquity. Why?

Milton was attempting to replace the external moral compasses represented by the church and clerisy with an internal moral compass: follow your heart, and follow God's commandments as you understand them from the Bible. Those are the only sure ways to discern evil disguised as good.